Day 193: American History X

A looong time ago, during college, I sat down with some girlfriends to watch American History X. It was 11:00 at night, we may or may not have indulged in a few adult beverages, and we were watching the movie on a computer screen in one of those friends' bed. Any movie that I start after 9:00 will result in a virtually narcoleptic sleep. Taking the whole situation into play, where I was on a bed...comfy...under the influence...watching on a small computer screen with limited sound?

Out like a light.

I obviously didn't see much of the movie, and when this came up in conversation, I told Mark that I slept through it. His response to me was as if I had personally offended him. "How is it possible to sleep through American History X??? That movie is so intense. What were you doing?"

And with that, we started our lazy Sunday off with a movie.

This time, I most certainly did NOT sleep through AHX, but on the contrary was so engaged and enraged and into it, that I was glued to every word of every character, every plot twist, every flashback and every moment.

And although I want to, I almost feel like I can't talk about the movie without giving away some piece of it that might impact your viewing. Like, I enjoy coming into a movie having not heard or seen anything about it, just so that I don't have any preconceived notions of what to expect. So, for this, I'm going to leave the description of the movie empty.

I will say that it was just hugely powerful and gave me hope about the possibility for some people to change their perceptions and attitudes for the better, even when they are living on the furthest brinks of their beliefs. It also inspires me that the reform of one person can inspire the reform in many.

Although I've stared at this page for a while wanting to write more and give more away, I think you really need to watch this and judge for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Just post a spoiler alert at the top of the post and then speak freely! I want to hear what you thought! Gotta love Ed Norton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. And most people have probably already seen the movie. I am so horribly behind on the times!

    ReplyDelete