Day 42: What's a Mumford?

Yesterday, my morning routine was rocked completely. I got out of the shower, poured myself a bowl of Cheerios and turned on Palladia. I caught the end of some country song I don't know and shoveled more Cheerios into my mouth and dived off the couch to get my laptop off the floor, careful not to spill the milk. Then I had to pause halfway, because from the TV came a brilliant, splendid, joyously sad, folksy ditty. I put down the computer and turned to the tube--this song required my devoted attention. It grabbed me by the ears and didn't let go, and for the first time in years, I was excited about music.

Turns out, that song was Mumford & Sons "Little Lion Man."

(Aside: When I put up my newfound revelation on Facebook, I got a pretty big response of people saying nothing but positive things about loving the band! Friends, listen here, if you have any other awesome band secrets that you're keeping from me, please reveal them now. You can use the "Comments" below if you want.)

So, as you can probably guess, I HAD to purchase their album.

If I were to guess, I'd say I haven't downloaded anything to my iTunes is from the past three years. Partly, it's because I'm cheap, but it's also probably due to the fact that I had XM radio in my last car and enjoyed the non-mainstream variety it offered. Further, I'm really into singers and songwriters, and there haven't been almost any in top 40 over the last couple of years, save John Mayer (who I love dearly, btw, but it does not a music collection make).

Call me old fashioned, but I probably won't buy music that's contains no real musical instruments and an auto-tuned human voice. That's not music I'm going to pull out in 15 years and reminisce about. You can also call me old fashioned, too, that when I like an artist, I will buy the physical CD. That's just who I am. I know you're judging me, and I'm okay with it.

This will hopefully put in context how thrilled and wonderfully in love I am with this band that I went to Borders after work and  bought the Mumford & Son's CD, "Sigh No More."

The CD is a unique compilation of English indie kids, playing banjo, rocking out to some really tender lyrics.  Think if Kings of Leon grew up in London, and then went to West Virginia and got stuck with a banjo playing savant who got on the tour bus and wouldn't get off. It is a different sound from anything I've ever heard before, and I can't get enough. They're coming to Atlanta on November 4 for a concert and I would likely do everything in my power (and within my budget) to get into the show.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I have a few Mumford and Sons songs but have never really given them a fair shake. I should probably revisit them.

    As for hidden gems, if you aren't listening to The Avett Brothers than I weep for you. Definitely on the country side of the spectrum (in that old Hank Williams way), but their music is heart breakingly good. I've seen them live twice and they may rank in the top 5 best live acts I've seen.

    Also The National. Definitely for darker/chill out moods but their album Boxer was on constant repeat when it first came out. They have a close relationship with Sufjan Stevens (if that gives you any idea).

    Yay music! I love it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I knew you would pull through for me! And I trust your taste in music infinitely.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for being part of my musical rebirth :)

    ReplyDelete