Day 84: Free Rice

If I haven't made this perfectly clear before, I'll do so now. I LOVE WORD GAMES. I love them so much so, that I almost enjoyed studying for the SAT and GRE and learning new words. Seriously. I'm a freak.

So when I learned that there is a word game on line that is a word game to fight hunger, it was as if the heavens opened up and told me that I have a purpose in life...to play word games and give Free Rice to the World Food Programme.

And, truthfully, this is something I had on my "list of things to do" this year, saving up for a day in which I otherwise may not have a New Thing. I've been pretty bogged down recently, so today, I burned this freebie.

The game goes like this--for every word to which I correctly guess the definition, Free Rice give 10 grains of rice to the WFP. The words get progressively harder so that you don't totally steal a whole bag of rice from them without paying your dues. I donated 830 grains of rice before I got to a question I didn't know the answer to:


Bummer.

At the end of my word game stint, I topped out at level 42, having donated 1430 grains of rice. That should be a good meal for someone in need.

But seriously, I'm going for 1000 grains of rice every time I play, and I'm creating a username so that I can log into this thing and fight hunger, one word at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment