Day 61: Word Gamer

I love word games. I grew up being the family champion of UpWords--a sort-of Scrabble that removes points per letter but allows you to stack tiles. I started getting good at UpWords when I was in my early teens and have been on a roll ever since.

I also had a love affair with TextTwist during high school. I could sit for hours coming up with new permutations of letters to create words that I did and didn't know the meaning of. My obsession got so bad that I would make up words in my head and switch the letters around to make other words ad nauseum.

Word games are my thing.

Today, while bowling with my friends Tasha and Brian, Brian brought up that he was playing Words with Friends, the game for iPhone. It allows you to play Scrabble with your buddies online an sends you texts when it's your turn to play.

I've seen people play WWF before but haven't ever really invested myself in it. I can be so obnoxious when I really become obsessed with something, namely games, that I try to restrict myself from those activities. It's kryptonite. Seriously. I have a criminal obsession with word games and conquering them.

When Brian brought it up that I could play, I became quickly consumed with proving my worth, and on my first play scored 44 points. From then, WWF required my rabid, all-consuming attention for rest of our bowling games.

My obsession rivals those of the kids who are avid players of World of Warcraft and Farmville who give up sleep to play, compromise relationships with real people, stop eating normal food and lose the ability to make logical decisions about life. Seriously.

I tried to appear to my friends that I was cooler than being sucked into the game, but alas, I was as transparent as cellophane. Moral of the story, don't let me play your word game if you want to hang out with me.

Sorry Tasha and Brian...I should have warned you beforehand.

As if I didn't have enough reasons to get an iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment